Checked in to my hotel aka home away from home in Northern Durham after first moving here in the early 90s. I look out the window towards the now-defunct Pan-Pan Diner, and there's a banner strung up in red lettering "Quail Dinner Special: $5.99". I remember immediately phoning my father and intoning "you are not gonna believe what I'm looking at out my window." Alas he had no sympathy just cracked up on the other end. To my joker friends who read this blog, no I didn't go over and partake.

I don't mean to come off haughty or snobby; my hometown didn't have a McDonald's until 1980 right? I'd just never heard of eating quail, let alone merchandising it; what do you call that -a Wild Game Extra Value Meal? Not too long after I ventured in to a local McDonald's where I spy a Pork Chop and Gravy biscuit on the menu.

Toto we're not in Kansas anymore.