I've had a rough 24 hours, personally and professionally. I was reflecting on the whole experience early this morning, and a story I'd read about the Duke women's basketball player Abby Waner came to mind. (I'd like to think this was Divinely imparted, given the mood I was in beforehand.) From GoDuke.com:

"GD: On your shoes you have “Next” and “Play” on them. What is the meaning of that?
AW:
Last year, right before the Michigan State game, I had been really struggling and I was carrying every mistake and every missed shot with me. One of my friends told me that it’s just all about the next play. It doesn’t matter if you make a mistake that play; it’s about what you’re going to do the next play. That really helped me to move forward from each mistake and each missed shot instead of carrying that with me and creating mistake, after mistake, after mistake because my mind wasn’t in the right place."

Thus, when she's tempted to lapse into negative self-talk, a quick downward glance snaps her out of it. I plan to take this simple philosphy with me from now on. I think in any situation at work or in our personal lives, too often we hang on to the baggage of disappointments and it holds us back from seeing the good ahead. When tie all our energy up in holding grudges, anger, disappointment,etc is it any wonder we have none left for success?

Taking inspiration from a Blue Devil may seem counter to what I posted yesterday. But truth is everywhere if you take time to find it.

So, what do you say?

Check ball, and.....

Next Play.

P.S. And even though I don't know you, thanks Abby.