This is what a traditional ring timer looks like at a boxing gym. It is pretty straightforward to work; the round switch can be set to either 2 or 3 minutes, and the rest switch to 30 seconds or 1 minute. The green light indicates the round beginning, yellow lights up at 30 seconds to go, and red indicates the round is over. So, the gym got a new digital ring timer this week complete with remote control. You can program it for a certain number of rounds, 30 second or 1 minute rest,etc. Being in the technology industry, I chuckled when my trainer told me the manufacturer put the instructions on top of the unit, which is to be mounted on a pole outside the ring about 8 to 10 feet off the ground. So to figure out how to work it, they had to stand up on the ropes as if celebrating a victory, lean over, and get eye strain to figure out how to work the darn thing.

It's very slick, but I miss the old style timer. If I'm having a hard round, or trying to keep my muscles from locking up on the speed bag, it's kinda comforting to hear the buzzer, see that yellow light out of the corner of your eye and know you are almost there. Now, I am sort of tempted to clock-watch, which in boxing you absolutely do not want to do!

My workouts have increased starting this week. I'll be doing 2 personal training sessions and 2-3 classes per week. I felt good when another person working out asked my trainer if I was her new sparring partner? "Turns that left hook over pretty well" they said. I'm grinning and full of myself for a second till I realize we still have a good 2 minutes of that round to go for mitt work,thanks to the digital timer.

More Kristasphere In:, , , ,