Just returned from a quick trip to Target to get a couple of items in anticipation of the 'wintry mix' (Translation" we don't know what's going to come down tomorrow, just that it will be frozen.) due to hit tomorrow morning. I'm reminded of the first time my office was closed in anticipation of snow; the ground was bone dry. When one of my former colleagues from the midwest heard my voicemail saying why the site was closed,well, I can't repeat in polite blog company what it said. To paraphrase it was "I'm shocked you are not there. You should return to work. You are from the midwest you should be able to weather any storm." But I digress...

The forecast is calling for 1" of snow, and perhaps some freezing rain. Before you double over laughing, understand that: 1. The average shopping mall in Chicago has more snowplows than the entire Research Triangle area 2. I'd challenge Dale Earnhardt Jr. to maneuver the hills around here in a car with black ice on them. 3. The planning geniuses here didn't figure they needed to bury the electrical cable. Instead, they strung it on poles right under the tree branches so they can snap when the branches get weighed down with ice,break off, and knock the power out.

Generally, you'd think The End was near if you went to the grocery or Target around here during these 'severe weather' times. Ex. I stood in a line that stretched back to the meat department after going home from the aforementioned 'threat of snow'. I guess we've become old pros or gotten cocky one of the two now, because the store was practically empty. Bottled water, juice, and firelogs were in good supply. Hopefully the weather pundits called it right and it will be a veritable non-event.